Armed heroin trafficker sentenced to 15 years in prison | The Enterprise
The Enterprise
Login
SearchHelpSubscriptions

Armed heroin trafficker sentenced to 15 years in prison

Posted on November 17, 2021

Updated on November 21, 2021

Local news

Davis

Davis

ROCKY MOUNT — A city man has been sentenced to 15 years in prison and five years of supervised release for trafficking heroin and fentanyl.

James Otis Davis Jr., 33, was convicted of conspiracy to distribute and possession with intent to distribute 1,000 grams or more of heroin and a quantity of fentanyl; possession with intent to distribute a quantity of heroin and fentanyl; and possession of a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime.

Davis is named in a federal indictment filed on Dec. 16, 2020. He pleaded guilty Sept. 21 and received his sentence last week.

In July 2019, agents learned that the defendant was selling heroin and fentanyl from hotel rooms at American Express Inn in Rocky Mount, said Don Connelly, public information officer for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of North Carolina.

On Sept. 16, 2019, agents conducted a controlled purchase of heroin, fentanyl and cocaine from Davis, Connelly said.

“Agents then executed a search warrant at the hotel room where the controlled purchase took place,” Connelly said. “Davis and his 8-month-old child were present. During the execution of the search warrant, agents seized 33 bindles of heroin and fentanyl, cocaine, a digital scale, currency and a loaded .380-caliber handgun.”

On May 6 and June 4, 2020, agents conducted additional controlled purchases of heroin from Davis.

On June 4, 2020, agents executed a search warrant on the hotel room Davis was using, and the agents seized 14.52 grams of heroin, cocaine and a 9mm handgun, according to court records.

On July 2, 2020, authorities conducted a traffic stop on Davis’ car. He was allegedly caught with six bindles of heroin and fentanyl.

“Davis admitted that he had trafficked more than a kilogram of heroin over the course of approximately six years,” Connelly said.

G. Norman Acker III, acting U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of North Carolina, thanked the Nash County Sheriff’s Office for its  investigation and Assistant U.S. Attorney Scott A. Lemmon for serving as prosecutor.

This case is part of the U.S. Attorney’s Take Back North Carolina Initiative, emphasizing the regional assignment of federal prosecutors to work with law enforcement and district attorney’s offices on a sustained basis in those communities to reduce the violent crime rate, drug trafficking and crimes against law enforcement.

More Local news

Roberson

Rocky Mount mayor running for Congress

By Lindell J. Kay
| December 1, 2021

Rocky Mount Mayor Sandy Roberson has filed paperwork to run for the newly redrawn U.S. House Distric...

This crime scene photo shows guns said to have been seized by the Nash County Sheriff's Office at the Middlesex home of state parolee Brian Keith Rogers.

Parolee charged with having 16 guns

By Lindell J. Kay
| December 1, 2021

MIDDLESEX — A felon who isn't supposed to have any forearms has been caught with 16 guns, according ...

State Sen. Lisa Barnes is encouraging Gov. Roy Cooper to sign her so-far successful legislation that would strengthen laws on public corruption.

Barnes to Cooper: Sign SB 473

By Lindell J. Kay
| November 30, 2021

The sponsor of a state bill boosting penalties for corruption in North Carolina urges the governor t...


Local News

Powered by Nash & Pine | v4.2.0